I wanted to explain how you can write and publish an ebook for free. I've made $275 from my Imposter Syndrome ebook on Gumroad. Here's how to self-publish a book of your own for free!
Google Docs is your friend
- Get a gmail account if you don't have one already. Open your drive and make a new file in Google Docs
- Add your super amazing content - this is your time to shine!
Get it proof-read
- Save your book in Google Docs and invite people to comment on it.
- This is also good marketing as it creates awareness of your book
- Most people will love the idea of being able to edit a book!
There were a fine minor edits of my conclusion after people commented wih suggestions. Pieter Levels was very effective in getting people to edit his book for him - he has since made over $200,000 from his Make book now.
Make a cool cover
- Make a book cover image using Canva (it's free)
- If you have more technical chops you can use Photoshop
- Add it to the first page of your Google Doc
For my cover I asked people on Twitter for feedback on my designs. People suggested I used images of developers on the cover to give it more of a human feel. I would definitely advise showing your cover art to people before you hit publish!
- I used a free web programme called Photo Joiner to make a collage of images. There are various design but one has space for 8 photos. You then drag and drop your images into the slots. Easy You now have a collage. I have a thin white border between my images but you can remove that or change it's color etc.
- Go to File in Google Docs and save as a PDF .
- Great! You know have a book. Better start selling it now...
Sell your book
I chose to sell on Gumroad for it's simplicity.
- Go to www.gumroad.com , make a profile and set up your payout settings
- Upload your pdf to Gumroad
- Write some sales copy - describe what your book is about and why people should buy it!
Make a chapter free and give it away as a sample
This will hopefully get some people in the door. For example, you can read a sample of my Imposter Syndrome book when you sign up for the No CS Degree newsletter. Don't forget to have a call to action at the end of the sample book for the reader to buy the whole book. So you want to add a payment link.
- In Mailchimp follow this guide for sending a file to confirmed subscribers.
- If your email provider doesn't let you send files ask people to reply to you if they want a free sample. Then send them the PDF directly.
- Add a Gumroad link to your website. The user clicks and a window opens up on your website page. Like so 👇
I hope that's been helpful!
My ebook is a collection of over 30 developers' views on imposter syndrome and how they manage it. Everyone takes a different approach. What is clear though is that loads of people have imposter syndrome! They just don't let it stop them achieving their goals.
p.s. I have to say I wouldn't have made an ebook if it wasn't for Pieter Levels writing Make a few years ago.